[Ifeffit] The degeneracy and the coordination number

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Wed Dec 26 08:51:40 CST 2012

Dear Zhaomo Tian,

This is an idiosyncrasy of Artemis/Ifeffit.

In the EXAFS equation, coordination number only appears multiplied by S02. Therefore it makes no sense to fit both S02 and N for a single path, as they would be 100% correlated.

Artemis' solution to this is to only allow you to fit S02, requiring you to interpret whether you are doing that to fit the actual value of S02, or to fit the coordination number.

To fit coordination number for the first shell, therefore, you need to know the value of S02.

Hopefully, examples will make this clearer. Suppose you know S02 = 0.90 (from, for example, fitting a standard).

One way to fit the first-shell coordination number would be to Set a parameter amp = 0.90 and guess a parameter N1 = 12. Then enter amp*N1 in the S02 box for path 1 in Artemis, and 1 in the N box.

Another way would be to Set amp = 0.90 and N1 = 12, and then enter amp*N1/12 in the S02 box and 12 in the N box.

There are, of course, other strategies that are also mathematically equivalent.

The key is that you must never put a variable in the N box, instead allowing the S02 box to do all the work of fitting.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College