[Ifeffit] Demeter installation (under Ubuntu)

Denis Testemale denis.testemale at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Wed Dec 19 04:12:54 CST 2012

Hello Bruce.
There are no special characters only letters, numbers, and underscores.
To be sure, I tried by placing the athena projects in ~/temp with the
same result.

Actually, I played a little bit more, and the behaviour is really strange:

- consider the home folder /home/denis (I'll write ~ in the following)
and a subfolder ~/A
- I place an old style athena project in ~: named athena.prj
- start dathena
- open ~/athena.prj in dathena. It works.
- cp athena.prj A/athena.prj
- open ~/A/athena.prj in dathena. It works.
- rm ~/athena.prj
- reopen ~/A/athena.prj in dathena. It says: "/home/denis/athena.prj is
not readable"
- cp ~/A/athena.prj ~/.
- reopen ~/A/athena.prj in dathena. It works.
- and finally, I replace ~/A/athena.prj by another athena project
(different), i.e., cp ~/some_random_athena_project ~/A/athena.prj
- reopen ~/A/athena.prj in dathena. No error message BUT the project it
opens is the old one, not the new random one I replaced the original one
with...

An additional info: the result of this sequence is the same if I let
dathena run between each step ((but close the projects CTRL+W) or if I
close (CTRL+Q) dathena at every step.

What do you think of my Xmas gift Bruce? :-)

Cheers
denis

Le 18/12/2012 19:54, ifeffit-request at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov a écrit :
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:47:32 -0500
> From: Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov>
> To: XAFS Analysis using Ifeffit <ifeffit at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov>
> Subject: Re: [Ifeffit] Demeter installation (under Ubuntu)
>

> Hi Denis,
>
> As always, thanks a million for your feedback.  This kind of thing has
> a profoundly positive impact on the quality of the package.  I am
> really grateful.
>
> The gnuplot-x11 dependency is a good catch.  Thanks.
>
> Unsurprisingly, I have no problems opening files on my computers.  So
> we need to figure out what is happening on yours that is not happening
> on mine.  My first suspicion involves character sets.
>
>> - if I copy athena.prj from /home/denis/pathtothefolder/ to /home/denis/
>> then it works.
> What is "pathtofolder"?  Specifically does it contains any accented
> characters, ess-zets, eastern characters or anything else involving
> unicode?

Denis Testemale
Institut Néel
FAME beamline at ESRF