[Ifeffit] Demeter installation (under Ubuntu)

Denis Testemale denis.testemale at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Tue Dec 18 08:50:25 CST 2012

Dear Bruce and mailing list members,

I'd like to report about the installation of the Demeter package under
Ubuntu where everything went smoothly but a few glitches...

## Background:
Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal, 3.5.0-19-generic with everything up to date as of
today (December 18th).
Demeter 0.9.14 (pulled from git today).
I have Horae package installed and running (from Carlo's repos).
I followed specific Ubuntu instructions at
https://gist.github.com/3959252 (Dave Hughes' installation guide)

##First, one comment.
You need to have the package gnuplot-x11 installed. For some reason, it
was not installed in my case (although gnuplot was). This lead to many
error messages during the './Build test' loop, and obviously the
impossibility to plot anything when running
(D)athena/artemis/hephaestus. At that time I did not think to try the
change of the plotwith variable (gnuplot -> pgplot) as discussed in a
previous ifeffit thread.
I since reinstalled Ubuntu and this time installed gnuplot-x11 before
Demeter.

##Then, a possible bug. It is reproducible everytime:
- I launch Dathena from the command line without specifying the name of
the project I want to open
- I try to open a project (an old style Athena project) from the GUI
(for example located at /home/denis/pathtothefolder/athena.prj)
- I get an error message (a pop-up window, the terminal is quiet) saying
'/home/denis/athena.prj is not readable', i.e. it looks for my file in
my home folder and doesn't take into consideration the path to the file
I input in the 'import data' dialog.
- if I copy athena.prj from /home/denis/pathtothefolder/ to /home/denis/
then it works.
- a workaround is: 'dathena /home/denis/pathtothefolder/athena.prj'

In the case of Dartemis, it is a bit different:
- if I try to open an old-style Artemis project through the dedicated
old style import module (say, /home/denis/pathtothefolder/artemis.apj),
there is a message at the bottom of the main Dartemis window saying:
'/home/denis/artemis.apj is not an old style fitting project file'.
Again it misses the complete path to the file.
- if I try to open an old-style Artemis project through the 'open
project of data' module, Dartemis crashes saying (in the terminal):
Can't open($fh, '/home/denis/artemis.apj'): Aucun fichier ou dossier de
ce type at
/home/denis/perl5/lib/perl5/x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi/Demeter/Files.pm
line 89

Actually, the crash may not be a bug as I am trying to open an old
Artemis project through the bad channel obviously, but notice that the
path to the file it refers to is again wrong.

## I must add that my first installation of Demeter (before I
reinstalled Ubuntu) was global (not following the non root specific
commands of Dave Hughes' installation guide) and I already had this
problem.

Let me know if you want me to try different things to track the problem
down. Many thanks.

Cheers
Denis

--