[Ifeffit] merging data

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Dec 14 11:12:17 CST 2012

I agree that you have uncovered an edge case where my merging
algorithm does something unexpected.  Figuring this out and fixing it
is nowhere near the top of my list of priorities.  I think I would be
happier flagging an error when the user sets a zero-length range for
the pre- or post-edge lines.

Athena is not intended to be a generic data processing tool.  Its
algorithms are fairly well tested and expected to work when you have
data that nominally resembles XAS data -- that is, some kind of
step-like function, possibly with wiggles above the step.  It has an
algorithm for normalization that makes those same assumptions.

We all eventually go to the beamline and measure something that needs
interpretation, but which is not a step-like function with wiggles.
The solution to that problem is not to expect Athena to miraculously
do what you want.  The solution is to go find the find the right tool
for the job.  Or, if it doesn't exist, write it yourself.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel