[Ifeffit] How to do with diffraction peak

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Dec 12 16:16:35 CST 2012

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:09:29 PM Dr. Dariusz A. Zając wrote:
> coming back to the problem with Bragg peaks, does anyone knows if it is
> possible to analyse EXAFS with more than 1 interest regions? like 2 or
> more FT windows - before, between and after Bragg peaks, or is possible
> to introduce one own FT window function in Athena?

Interesting question.  Some days I really love this mailing list.

A similar question came up recently on the mailing list, although I
think here you are asking whether regions can be chosen in k-space.
(The previous discussion was about regions in R space.)

I am commenting off the top of my head here, so I may be neglecting
something.  But I think what you are suggesting to have a windowing
function that goes up, then down, then up again, then down again.  I
think the problem with that is that it would introduce low frequency
components into the transformed data.  Granted, the transform of the
theory would have the same effect, but I worry about how that kind of
windowing function would be correlated with the parameters of the fit.

As Scott suggested in the earlier conversation, another option is to
do a multiple data set fit where the data is imported twice.  For one
instance of the data, the FT window is set over the first range.  For
the other instance, the window is set over the second range.  Again, I
worry about how the choice of windows may be correlated with the
parameters of the fit, given the limited information content used in
each part of the MDS fit.

I don't plan on exploring this myself.  But if someone wanted to do so
and attempt to convince me that it should be implemented in the
software, I am -- as always -- willing to listen.

Cheers,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Homepage:    http://xafs.org/BruceRavel