[Ifeffit] {Spam?} {Disarmed} How to do with diffraction peak

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Tue Dec 11 11:59:56 CST 2012

I second that motion about the usefulness of multi-element detectors.  Some people suggest that because single-element detectors
can now count as fast as multi-element detectors used to and cover solid angle more efficiently, multi-element detectors are
obsolete.  My EXAFS data reduction software includes an option called 'deglitch with reference scalers'.  An example of how this works:
Suppose you have a 7-element detector (elements 0-6) and there's a Bragg peak in elements 4 and 5.  Now form the ratio 4/(0+1+2+3+6), where
the digits refer to element numbers.  Except for the Bragg peak, this ratio should be slowly-varying and almost devoid of EXAFS information
because everything in it should be proportional to the same signal.  Now, do the deglitch thing - fit this ratio to a smooth function
(I use a cubic polynomial) in a region outside the Bragg peak and replace the ratio in the Bragg region with the fit.  Then, in that region,
replace the signal from element 4 with (fitted)*(0+1+2+3+6).  Do the same with element 5.  What you've done is to reconstruct an estimate
of what elements 4,5 should have been doing with reference to the other elements.  Yes, you've faked some information, but much less than if
you had just 'papered over' the glitch region with a cubic on the sum.  This method allows you to deal with Bragg peaks in spectral regions
where there is detail without totally obliterating the signal you're after, but it only works if you have multiple elements.

OK, rant-mode off.
	mam