[Ifeffit] How to fit "N" number of Neigbors in (D)Artemis?

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Mon Aug 20 09:24:42 CDT 2012

Just to fill out some details about how this somewhat quirky aspect of Ifeffit/Artemis can be used:

Suppose you want to find the degeneracy of nearest-neighbors, represented by path 1, and next-nearest neighbors, represented by path 2. To fit the degeneracy of one of the paths,

1. Set "N" to 1 for both paths.

2. Create parameters named, say, "amp," "N1," and "N2."

3. Fill in the N box for both the first and second path with "1" (not "N1" and "N2"!)

4. Fill in the S02 box for path 1 with "amp*N1" and for path 2 with "amp*N2."

5. EXAFS does not contain enough information to guess all three parameters; one of them must be set. Often, that is amp, perhaps because it is obtained from a standard. But maybe it's N1: you might know the near-neighbor coordination, but not the next-nearest neighbors. In any case, you need to set at least one of the three parameters to a known (or suspected) value.

6. All your named parameters now mean what you think they should mean in the log files: e.g., "N2" is the coordination number for the next-nearest neighbors. But the "S02" path parameter in the log files is amp*N1 for the first path and amp*N2 for the second path. That's kind of confusing, but because you've designed your guess/def/set parameters effectively, it's not a problem!

Hope that helps...

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College