[Ifeffit] ifeffit on Lion

George Sterbinsky GeorgeSterbinsky at u.northwestern.edu
Wed Aug 15 11:06:26 CDT 2012

Hi list members,

I am attempting to install ifeffit on mac book running Lion (10.7.4). I
have downloaded and installed xcode and gfortran. I downloaded the iffeffit
package from github. I then cd into .../Downloads/newville-ifeffit-30644e
and run

sudo ./PGPLOT_install

I get the following error:

 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
 = PGPLOT installation script
 =
 system =  linux  ==  linux g77_gcc
 prefix =  /usr/local/
 = Looking for PGPLOT file: pgplot5.2.tar.gz
 = PGPLOT file not found
 = I'll try to download it for you...
  trying with regular old ftp
  you may have to hit return here for this to work --
  Really, you won't need to enter 'anonymous' or a valid
  username --- just hit return
ftp: Can't connect to `131.215.193.54': Connection refused
ftp: Can't connect to `ftp.astro.caltech.edu'
./PGPLOT_install: line 176:  1407 Segmentation fault: 11  $ftp
$pgp_ftpsite  <<EOF
anonymous
ifeffit at cars.uchicago.edu
cd  $pgp_ftpdir
hash
get $pgp_file
exit
EOF

 = Sorry, I couldn't download the PGPLOT tar file.
 = You'll have to download it yourself. Try this:
 =   ftp ftp.astro.caltech.edu
 =   cd  pub/pgplot/
 =   get pgplot5.2.tar.gz
 = then run this script again

I then downloaded pgplot5.2.tar.gz, dropped this into newville...e and
ran ./PGPLOT_install again. This gives the following message, which
comes after numerous warnings:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
 = Uh-oh.  PGPLOT is missing some important files!
 = It looks like PGPLOT failed during building or
 = is only partially installed.
 =
 = Please consult the PGPLOT installation instructions
 = in the subdirectory  pgplot/, and the log file:
 =    /Users/gsterbinsky/Downloads/newville-ifeffit-306444e/PGPLOT_install.log
 = which contains a full list of commands run.
 =
 = You may want to repeat these steps by hand or
 = consult the PGPLOT installations instructions
 = in install-unix.txt
 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I did some googling and found this explanation of what might be going
on: http://mingus.as.arizona.edu/~bjw/software/pgplot_fix.html

However, the iffefit INSTALL file says pgplot must be installed with
the PGPLOT_install command, which these directions do not use.
Furthermore, since iXAFS runs on Lion, it seems to me that someone may
have already found a solution to this problem.
So rather than trying more random solutions, I thought it might be
pertinent to check with the list so see if that is the case.
If anyone can provide any suggestions or a known solution to this
problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
George