[Ifeffit] data processing - not all columns are visible

Erik Farquhar efarq at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 21:20:30 CDT 2012

Hi Eva,

It is also a good idea to mention that you are using OS X (as you told me). Are you using the iXAFS versions of Athena/Artemis? If so, which version #?

To elaborate on Eva's e-mail, she collected data on NSLS X3B using a 31 element Ge detector. Datafiles are in the normal ASCII NSLS XDAC file format, with the individual Ge channel labeled as long strings XIA01FeK ... XIA31FeK. To date we've had no issues w/ these files using "classic Horae Athena/Artemis" on Windows machines. With Demeter on Windows, I did see the same problem as Eva, with the data file column selector dialog only displaying the first 25 columns or so. Bruce came up with a workaround at an early beta stage, so that long column name strings no longer cause the column selector dialog to puke. As I recall from Bruce's explanation, it had to do with IFEFFIT being unhappy with the long column labels, although evidently something in the code for the older programs overcame this limitation.

If I had to guess, the OS X versions of "classic" Athena/Artemis are running into this issue with IFEFFIT disliking the long column labels. I don't have an OS X machine to test this, hence Eva's appeal to the wider IFEFFIT community.

Cheers,
Erik

--
Erik Farquhar