[Ifeffit] Preparation help with fly ash sample with diluted Tl

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 29 18:51:35 CDT 2011

Hi Dariusz,

Thanks, those are good suggestions.   I was assuming that they'd use a
solid state (say 10+ element Ge) detector for concentrations at and
below 10 ppm.    A large diode detector might work OK -- they can
often take higher total count rate at the expense of energy
discrimination.  I'd be happy to be shown a comparison, but my guess
is that electronically removing the Fe and Compton scattering would be
worth the effort for these concentrations.

--Matt