[Ifeffit] Fly ash sample with diluted Tl

Mengling Yi Stuckman stuckman.12 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 29 09:04:17 CDT 2011

Dear Ifeffit Community,

I am currently working on project "Evaluating Speciation of Thallium
in Coal Fly Ash". The project was accepted by APS and we will conduct
our measurement on beamline 5-BM-D.

My fly ash sample has Tl concentration ranging from 0.5ppm to 13ppm.
How can I know whether the sample can generate enough photon counts if
using fluorescence mode? what would be the appropriate sample
preparation procedure I should follow? Is there any interference I
should pay attention to?

I understand that I should use Hephaestus, but I don't know how to do
that if my sample contains lots of different oxides. I attached the
elemental composition in this email. Most metals should be in form of
oxides, or sulfates.

Any input would be highly appreciated,

Mengling

--