[Ifeffit] XAFS of poly-metals contaminated soil samples

Xia Bing sweetblues at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 12:23:59 CDT 2011

Dear members of the mailing list:

This year we have applied the synchrotron radiation and get the chance to
Beijing  Synchrotron Radiation Facility at beamline 1W1B-XAFS. It is the
first time to use this equipment to measure our samples. We communicate with
the beamline staff for some guideline and help, but they also do not have
much experience on soil samples.  Would you like give us some suggestions?
If you could, can you supply me some resources like sample preparation or
others?

Now I try to use synchrotron radiation to elucidate some phenomenons of
heavy metals in mining area soil. In my soil sample, the Zn is about 498ppm
and the Cu is about 562ppm, the first step I focus on Zn but the copper
concentration is higher than Cu. Will copper  interfere zinc If I use XAFS
to measure the Zn?
I plan to use fluorescence detection. The Fe in the sample is at high
concentrations (85g/kg), from some literature that might be an issue.
Would you like to  give me some suggestions in the sample preparation and
measurement?

Table 1.

Characterization of the soil (mean ± SD, n = 3)

> TOC
>
> g·kg-1
>
> TN  g·kg-1
>
> Available phosphorus
>
> mg·kg-1
>
> Available potassium
>
> mg·kg-1
>
> CEC
>
> cmol·kg-1
>
> Trace metals mg·kg-1
>
> Pb
>
> Zn
>
> Cu
>
> Cd
>
> Mine soil
>
> 3.69
>
> 0.16
>
> 0.9
>
> 4.1
>
> 5.27
>
> 1368.2±244.76
>
> 497.74±90.27
>
> 562.2±94.36
>
> 6.48±0.36

*Not detected

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Xia Bing

--
Department of Environmental Engineering,
Room D-614, 6/F,