[Ifeffit] Ifeffit Digest, Vol 103, Issue 7

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 6 15:07:55 CDT 2011

Rajesh,

I suspect you might be trying solve problems you don't have, and not
looking at the problems you do have.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 1:07 PM, Rajesh Kumar <rajesh.sdc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Matt,
> Thanks for your mail. I moved with your advice with PGPLOT a couple of weeks
> back. After that I could install PGPLOT. Then I installed ATHENA, ARTEMIS
> and there were some error messages when I was trying to run FIT in ARTEMIS.
> I tried to resolve them, but then I thought of testing the installation of
> PGPLOT and then I found that the demos were not working. Since at that time

But that means that artemis ran!  Were the "some error messages"
related to plotting?  If so, what were they?  Are you sure they were
due to a broken PGPLOT?

> I had tried to install different versions of IFEFFIT, ATHENA and DEMETER, my
> system got cluttered.
>
> So I cleaned the system. Removed all the programs.
> I installed PGPLOT, HORAE though ubuntu afresh.

I strongly recommend installing PGPLOT with the PGPLOT_Install
provided with Ifeffit.  This is completely unrelated to the debian
package.  To be clear, by "strongly recommend", I mean that I do not
know that the debian package will work with Ifeffit and cannot support
it.  If it works for you, great, but don't ask me for help if it
doesn't work.  If you have problems with the PGPLOT_Install script,
let's fix that.

> Then I started to run the demos of PGPLOT.  with advice from Pawel, I was
> able to run compile and execute the .f programs.  with "I am not able to
> run the demo programs" meant that at that time I was not able to run the
> PGPLOT demos.  As I mentioned running PGPLOT demos was just a check, my
> goal is to use IFEFFIT, ATHENA and now I would be moving to that.

Then why are you worried about whether the PGPLOT demos run?