[Ifeffit] beamline for Al EXAFS

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Tue Oct 11 11:25:06 CDT 2011

Hi Alex,

I have make Al K-edge measurements before. Unfortunately, the beamline is no longer available. It was Jumbo (BL III-3) at SSRL. At least, I don't think that Jumbo came back after the upgrade.

I have made Total Electron Yield, Partial Electron Yield (Auger), and Fluorescence measurements on both conductive and non-conductive samples. I used an AXUV300 diode from http://www.ird-inc.com/axuvabsdev/axuv300mg.html. The diode is visible light sensitive so either the chamber must be light tight or it must be covered by 1 um of Al. I got the Al foil from Lebow http://www.lebowcompany.com/.

This will certainly work for you if you can find a beamline, if I remember we used the YB66 crystals at Jumbo. You might contact the SRC to see if the Canadian Double Crystal monochromator can go low enough to catch Al.

You are correct that the sample needs to be vacuum compatible. A low energy Ge detector with a thin C window should be able to detect Al as well.

Jeff

Jeff Terry
Assoc. Professor of Physics
Life Science Bldg Rm 166