[Ifeffit] Athena Artemis

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu May 12 16:12:12 CDT 2011

Wow!  This is a strange one.  I don't yet understand quite why this
problem is happening, but I do have a work-around and a hand-wavy
explanation for why the work-around works.

Here's the work-around.  When you import data from an Athena project,
you click on that group in the Athena import dialog.  In the attached
picture, you would click where I have drawn the red oval to select the
4th data group.  The work-around is to click twice on the group you
want to import.  Not double-click, but click ... wait for it to
display ... click again.  Then hit the import button.

Here's my incomplete understanding of this bug.  I noticed that when
you remove the background from that data group in Athena, the
background removal requires 4 iterations in its fit to come to a
conclusion.  When you import that Athena project file into Artemis and
click once on that data group, it requires 7 iterations.  When you
click again, it requires 4 iterations.  In several other scenarios
that I have investigated, it requires 4 iterations.  So, it seems the
background removal is being done incorrectly in the one-click case --
where "incorrectly" is defined as not consistent with all other
scenarios.

So, why does it take 7 iterations in that one case?  I don't know yet.
As most of you know, Athena and Artemis are merely fancy front-ends to
Ifeffit.  When you click a button, A&A generate ifeffit commands and
send those command off to the Ifeffit library, which is hanging out in
the background out of sight.  When you use A&A, you are relying upon
them to place Ifeffit in the same state whenever you do the same
operation.  Something about the interaction of Artemis and Ifeffit in
our scenario is done wrongly (that is, inconsistently with the other
scenarios).  This different state leads to some small numerical
difference that leads to 7 iterations and George's slightly different
data.

That's not a very satisfying answer, but I have been poking at this
for the last 2 hours and that's my story so far.

In conclusion:

  * George found am Artemis bug leading to a numerical difference in
    his data in a certain scenario

  * The work around for now is to click twice on your data when you
    import it into Artemis from an Athena project file.

Ugh!

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov