[Ifeffit] Question about transform windows and statistical parameters

Brandon Reese bjreese at gmail.com
Wed May 11 22:45:43 CDT 2011

Hi Scott and Shelly,

Thanks for the replies.

Scott, I have read a bit about how ifeffit computes the error.   I have a
hard time keeping that information handy when I start seeing stuff like
this, but that was the source of my comment about it being related to
compared chi-square with different k-ranges.  Thanks for the refresher,
hopefully it sinks in a bit better this time!   I tried your suggestion with
epsilon and the chi-square values came out to be very similar values with
the different windows.  Does this mean that reporting reduced chi-square
values in a paper that compared several data sets would not be necessary
and/or appropriate?  Would setting a value for epsilon allow comparisons
across different k-ranges, different (but similar) data sets, or a
combination of the two using the chi-square parameter?

Shelly, thanks for the tip on appropriate dk values for the two windows.  I
would appreciate a copy of your book chapter.  Changing the dk value to 2
using the K-B window produced similar chi-square values compared to a
Hanning window with a dk=1.

In playing around with different windows and dk values my fit variables
generally stayed within the error bars, but the size of the error bars could
change more than a factor 2.  Does this mean that it would make sense to
find a window/dk that seems to "work" for a given group of data and stay
consistent when analyzing that data group?

Best Regards,
Brandon