[Ifeffit] Question about transform windows and statistical parameters

Shelly Kelly dr.sdkelly at gmail.com
Wed May 11 15:41:35 CDT 2011

Hi Brandon:

I have a different idea on what might be happening. Take a look at the
window function and the data in k-space for both window functions. The
kaiser-bessel window works in a different way from the Hanning window. They
emphasize different regions of the data differently. The sill part of the
window is defined differently.  Usually use a dk = 1 or 2 A-1 with a Hanning
window. Take a look at the kq data showing the signal q that is used in R
for the fit.  The Kaiser-Bessel window works best with dk values of 3 to 4
A-1. This results in a slowly giving more importance to data in the k-range.
Again look at the kq data to see this effect.

If you use a Kaiser-Bessel window with a small dk then the data used in the
fit will extend more (as compared to Hanning) beyond the k-range set by kmin
and kmax.  Same for the Hanning window, but with a large dk value as
compared to K-B.
So by simply changing the window without changing dk, you are changing the
information that is Fourier transformed and that results in slightly
different values and all the rest.

If you need an example: I can send you my book chapter :).  It has an
excellent section on FT and all the buttons that go with them.

Kelly, S. D., Hesterberg, D. and Ravel, B. (2008). Analysis of soils and
minerals using X-ray absorption spectroscopy. Methods of soil analysis, Part
5 -Mineralogical methods. Ulery, A. L. and Drees, L. R. Madison, WI, USA,
Soil Science Society of America: 367-463.

Cheers,
Shelly