[Ifeffit] What does FEFF stand for?

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:16:33 CDT 2011

I looked into this a bit further, Bruce, and I'd tentatively say the
curved-wave corrections do turn out to be the source of the "eff":

The earliest use of f_eff I can find is from a 1986 Phys. Rev. B
article entitled "Spherical-wave effects in photoelectron
diffraction," by Sagurton et al. (John Rehr is also in the author
list). It says "an approximaton for including SW [spherical wave]
corrections suggested recently by Rehr, Albers, and Natoli has been
incorporated in some of our calculations...the net limiting result is
a calculation procedure in which an effective scattering factor
f_eff,j(r,theta_j) which depends on r takes the place of the usual PW
[plane wave] f_j(theta_j)."

In addition, was FEFF3 a multiple-scattering code? The comments in its
header and the 1991 JACS article on it mention only single-scattering.

It would make an extraordinary amount of sense that the "eff" would
refer to FEFF's ability to handle multiple-scattering paths, but I
don't think that's the actual historical origin of the terminology.

And as for Anatoly's suggestion, I'll, uh, leave that one be for the
moment.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College