[Ifeffit] What does FEFF stand for?

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:03:23 CDT 2011

Right, Chris.

There is a factor in the EXAFS equation, f(k). In different parts of
the literature, f(k) sometimes has different meanings, but within the
context of FEFF it refers to the effect of the potential of the
scattering atom on both the scattering amplitude (the real part) and
phase (the imaginary part).

Thus, it stands for "f effective."

My understanding, although I could be wrong is that the "effective"
part came from an improvement of the theory to account for curved-wave
effects. In other words, early theories approximated the photoelectron
as a plane wave, but of course it spreads out radially from the
absorbing atom. That change necessitated tweaking the definitions of
the factors, so it became the "effective" f.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College