[Ifeffit] SS and MS contributions to EXAFS

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 10:40:49 CDT 2011

Hi Francisco,

Following up on Matt's comment, a FEFF calculation  with default
option assigns sigma2 to be 0, and that probably won't result in
relative contributions between SS and MS that look much like what
happens in the real material.

A better strategy would be to read the calculation into Artemis, as
Matt suggests, and use a Debye model for the sigma2 for the paths,
trying a few different Debye temperatures to get a sense of how it
affects the relative contributions. While the Debye model is not an
appropriate model for quantitatively fitting most materials, at least
it takes a stab at how sigma2 might depend on R, which will help with
understanding how important the MS paths are to chi(k).

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College