[Ifeffit] McMaster correction

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:10:14 CDT 2011

Thanks, all!

Here's what I got out of the discussion:

FEFF is calculating the "correct" chi(k), and applying an approximate
correction introduces additional sources of error. But the only way to
measure chi(k) is to extract it from unnormalized data, and the
original definition of chi was an arbitrary, if sensible, one: chi(E)
= mu(E)/mu_o(E) - 1. And mu_o(E), while not known with great accuracy,
depends only on the element and the edge (perhaps excepting minor
contributions from AXAFS).

Not applying a correction, whether McMaster or something more accurate
(such as the ones Anatoly and John suggested), is equivalent to using
the approximation mu_o(E) = mu_o(E_o), which is less accurate than the
alternatives. On the other hand, the effect is almost entirely a shift
in the absolute (as opposed to relative) value of sigma^2.

Considering that, it seems to me that this would be a good option for
Athena when calculating chi(k). (I think it would be more problematic
to apply when calculating normalized energy-space data, as in that
case the correction would depend on instrumental effects and the
absorption of other edges in the sample.) So, Bruce, I guess this was
first a discussion and then a feature request. :)

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College