[Ifeffit] McMaster correction

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Thu Jun 16 21:12:11 CDT 2011

Hi Scott,

I maybe misunderstood your question but let me comment on it the way I see the problem.
First, chi(k) is defined only above k=0 (E=E0), of course, and its defined as mu=mu_o*(1+chi(k)).
chi(k) results from the scattering electron wave function being non-monotonic and is stripped of any information about mu_o. In that sense, chi(k) is completely independent on mu_o, and all parts of chi(k) including f(k), delta(k) and lambda(k) that FEFF calculates do not have any idea about mu_o either. Thus, if FEFF defined chi(k) using mu-mu_o/edge step instead of mu-mu_o/mu_o which is a correct definition of chi(k), then FEFF would have to know the McMaster correction to recover a more accurate chi(k), or would have to know a mu_o, which would be even better, but either option introduces additional theoretical approximations to the more accurate chi(k) that FEFF can produce without tampering with McMaster correction.

Maybe another way to handle that would be to normalize mu not by the edge step but by mu_o, and that would make experimental chi(k) in a better agreement with the way it is calculated by FEFFand theoretical EXAFS equation, and not require any McMaster correction? That would make chi(k), of course, not realistic near the edge since mu_o near the edge is not reliable, but we are not using chi(k) in the k-range between 0 and k_min anyway, so nobody who uses chi(k) for Fourier transform purposes (in fits or whatever) will not notice the difference. Thus, such procedure would get away with McMaster correction alltogether.

Anatoly