[Ifeffit] Opening SSRL data in Athena

Wayne W Lukens Jr wwlukens at lbl.gov
Thu Jul 7 20:19:09 CDT 2011

Hi Lia,

Those are binary files from SSRL, which athena cannot open. There are a few
ways that you can deal these files.

Easiest is to use Six-Pack to work up the data. I believe it will open SSRL
binary files. Six-Pack is a GUI-driven suite of programs analogous to Athena
and Artemis.

Slightly less easy is to convert your binary data to ascii data, which can
be done on the SSRL computer that you used to collect the data. At this
point, you will have to ask the beamline scientist to do this for you. You
can definitely open the ascii files in Six-Pack.

Somewhat more difficult is to use EXAFSPAK to work up the data. These are a
suite of programs for EXAFS data analysis that are not particularly easy to
learn. They will open the binary files.
EXAFSPAK is easy to use once you have learned the commands.

Six-Pack:

http://home.comcast.net/~sam_webb/sixpack.html

EXAFSPAK:

http://ssrl.slac.stanford.edu/exafspak.html

Sincerely,

Wayne

On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Julia M Klofas <jklofas at usgs.gov> wrote:

> Hello Carlo,
> Yup, attaching it would be really helpful, sorry about that!
>
> I'm concerned of the quality of the data (which is why i'm taking it into
> athena) and trying to average the files is proving difficult, so it's
> probably not the best data...
> Lia

Wayne Lukens
Staff Scientist