[Ifeffit] sample preparation for liquid samples

Polzer, Frank frank.polzer at helmholtz-berlin.de
Tue Jan 11 03:12:02 CST 2011

Dear all,

I would like to measure manganese oxide nanoparticles at the Mn K edge.

The nanoparticles are affixed to polystyrene latex carrier particles (PS) and the whole composite material (MnO2 at PS with ca. 5 m-% MnO2 in the composite) is dispersed in water.

Therefore we consider measuring the composite material in the dried state as a powder as well as in the dispersed state in water. The sample preparation for powders to me is quite straight forward, but I would really appreciate if somebody could share his experience with sample preparation and measurements of liquid samples.

I think that aqueous samples are best measured in the fluorescence mode. That's why I am concerned of problems like self-absorption and so on.

Can anybody tell my what is a good concentration range to overcome effects like self-absorption and how to get good fluorescence data in general? And what kind of sampler holder or materials (cuvettes, etc.) are best suited for aqueous samples?

I am looking forward to receiving some helpful replies!

Cheers,

Frank

Dipl. Chem. Frank Polzer
F-I2 - Soft Matter and Functional Materials
Helmholtzzentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie
Lise-Meitner-Campus
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
14109 - Berlin

Tel.: +49 30 8062-43830
Fax:  +49 30 8062-42308

frank.polzer at helmholtz-berlin.de<mailto:frank.polzer at helmholtz-berlin.de>

Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher
Forschungszentren e.V
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch,
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph

Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH

Mitglied der Hermann von Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft Deutscher Forschungszentren e.V

Aufsichtsrat: Vorsitzender Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch, stv. Vorsitzende Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn- Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer

Sitz Berlin, AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583

Postadresse:
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

http://www.helmholtz-berlin.de