[Ifeffit] Cadmium K-edge

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 13:48:32 CST 2011

Hi Alan,

(To the list: I discussed Alan's system a bit with him when he came to
SSRL, but don't recall the details. That's why in this reply I have a
little more knowledge about it than what he posted yesterday.)

I suspect the peak at 2.3 A does indeed represent structure of some
kind. Your k-space data for sample 1 has very little noise, so I don't
think it's spurious in that sense.

What strikes me about your data is that the FT's have so little
structure beyond the 1.8 A peak. I don't recall exactly the nature of
your system: it was cadmium loaded on to the surface of a substrate,
but I don't recall what the substrate was. If it's low-Z (for example,
silica), then the scattering off of whatever the oxygen is bonded to
(in my example, silicon) would show up pretty weakly, and that could
be the peak at 2.3 A. It's absence in sample 2 could represent the
cadmium ion being less selective about what surface site it bonds to,
so that the Cd-Si distance (in my example) varies and the peak washes
out.

That's all just an example of the kind of thing that could be
responsible for what you're seeing. I agree that a good plan is to use
a Cd-O structure to at least let you model the first peak. For the
second peak, though, you may have to take more inspiration from the
structure of the substrate than the structure of Cd-O.

It's also intriguing that the white line in your sample is larger than
in the CdO standard from the database. Someone with more XANES
experience than I might be able to suggest why that is--something
about these being bound to the surface?

Is my recollection of your system correct? If so, what was the
substrate?

--Scott Calvin
Faculty at Sarah Lawrence College
Currently on sabbatical at Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory