[Ifeffit] Fe in glassy ceramics

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 11:47:10 CST 2011

Hi Andrei,

It's not unreasonable to model such a thing. Use a highly constrained
model for the spinel, not allowing coordination numbers to float and
using very few sigma2 parameters. I've published a model like that for
fitting spinels here:

http://prb.aps.org/abstract/PRB/v66/i22/e224405

My model is more complicated than yours needs to be, because you don't
really have site disorder; all the sites are Fe.

Then multiply the amplitudes by a guessed parameter representing the
fraction of the iron that is in the spinel phase.

The remaining amplitude gets used for the glassy phase, which can
possibly be fit by a single iron-oxygen path, which can be cloned from
one of the spinel near neighbor paths, but now with most parameters
floated.

You may very well need to fix S02 based on the value from a standard.

Fit over a wide range in the Fourier transform, so that you take
advantage of high R peaks to pin down the spinel part.

Worth a shot, anyway. The key is being aggressive with assumptions and
constraints, and then being honest about how that affects your
uncertainties in the end.

--Scott Calvin
Faculty at Sarah Lawrence College
Currently on sabbatical at Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory