[Ifeffit] Trouble running Demeter 0.9.6 under Parallels

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Dec 26 14:51:29 CST 2011

On Monday, December 26, 2011, 01:09:20 pm, Scott Calvin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble running Demeter 0.9.6 under Parallels, and I'm wondering
> if anyone has had a similar problem, and/or a suggested solution.
>
> I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Windows XP SP2 under
> Parallels 6. Demeter 0.4 was running fine. I attempted to install Demeter
> 0.9.6, and it appeared to install normally, but when I launched Athena I
> noticed I was still in 0.4. Some poking around individual files seemed to
> confirm they had not been replaced. I then tried uninstalling Demeter--it
> said it was uninstalling 0.9.6, but got rid of 0.4, as I intended. I then
> installed 0.9.6, which again seemed to work. Upon trying to launch any of
> the components of Demeter (Athena, Artemis, Hephaestus, Atoms) the splash
> box appears, sticks around a few seconds, and then disappears, along with
> the black DOS window. No notice of a crash appears; the program just fails
> to launch.
>
> Any ideas?

Well, an actionable bug report would certainly help.

If you are running this on Windows, please send me the file
%APPDATA%\demeter\dathena.log, which contains the error messages
associated with the problem you observed.

On Windows XP, %APPDATA% = C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application
Data\

On Windows 7, %APPDATA = C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming

If you are running this on linux, start athena from the command line
by typing "dathena", then cut and paste the error messages from the
crash into your email.

When the new software crashes, a useful bug report contains those
error messages.  If you do not send me those error messages, I will not
be able to help you.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov