[Ifeffit] Trouble running Demeter 0.9.6 under Parallels

Scott Calvin scalvin at sarahlawrence.edu
Mon Dec 26 12:09:20 CST 2011

Hi all,

I'm having trouble running Demeter 0.9.6 under Parallels, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and/or a suggested solution.

I have a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and Windows XP SP2 under Parallels 6. Demeter 0.4 was running fine. I attempted to install Demeter 0.9.6, and it appeared to install normally, but when I launched Athena I noticed I was still in 0.4. Some poking around individual files seemed to confirm they had not been replaced. I then tried uninstalling Demeter--it said it was uninstalling 0.9.6, but got rid of 0.4, as I intended. I then installed 0.9.6, which again seemed to work. Upon trying to launch any of the components of Demeter (Athena, Artemis, Hephaestus, Atoms) the splash box appears, sticks around a few seconds, and then disappears, along with the black DOS window. No notice of a crash appears; the program just fails to launch.

Any ideas?

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College