[Ifeffit] New software being developed

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Aug 18 16:50:40 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I suppose I should say a few words about this Demeter thing that got
mentioned a couple of times today.

As some of you may know, I have been working on replacements for
Athena, Artemis, and Hephaestus for a while now.  The new programs
involve better and prettier GUIs, improved plotting capabilities, 100%
re-written source code, and lots of new fitting capabilities.  I
expect that the new codes will be better in almost every way than what
we are all currently using.

I am getting very close to releasing the new codes for everybody to
use.  A couple months ago, I asked a small group of people to try out
the new programs and to help me find bugs and other problems.  This
small-scale beta-testing period has been very productive and I have
made good progress towards the day when I can begin transitioning
everyone from the musty old software to the shiny new software.

If beta-testing buggy software sounds like something you might want to
try, you can find information about Demeter -- including installation
instructions, documentation, source code, and other goodies -- at

  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Demeter

Be mindful that this is new software.  It continues to need testing
and it remains likely to crash.

If that sounds like fun to you, great!  But you then need to be
responsible about sending me prompt and useful bug reports.

If that sounds like hell to you, you should probably wait for the
first stable release.

Regards,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 EXAFS software:  http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/Demeter