[Ifeffit] Athena: problems with LCF

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 10:02:05 CDT 2011

Hi Nina,

Thank you for bringing your question to the list.

As others have said, the problem lies with not having enough data to
normalize effectively, and is compounded by not taking control of the
normalization process to make sure its relatively consistent. Standard
A, for instance, has a post-edge line that cuts very low through the
data, as does D. The 1:1 A to D calculated mixture, though, comes
across more evenly.

This is a problem even with calculated mixtures, as you chose to
import the calculated mixture as a mu(E) file, and not as a norm(E)
file. In theory, this should be fixable by fixing the edge step of the
calculated spectrum to 1, so that it doesn't try to normalize it
again. Something's not quite right when I do that, because the
calculated average of A and D sometimes slips below both of the other
graphs, and an average shouldn't do that. Nevertheless, it gets us
close: an LCF fit now gives us 54.5% A and the rest D.

Another approach is to remove the "force weights to 1" checkbox. This
is often necessary if normalizations are in doubt. That works quite
well here, delivering an A to B ratio of 49 to 53.

--It's best to collect data far enough above the edge so that you
establish an unambiguous post-edge trendline, if possible.

--Post-edge lines should be examined, and changed if they are
inconsistent between spectra being used for LCF. It's better to just
eyeball normalization than to use radically different trendlines, for
instance. I sometimes play around by eye with trendlines to see what
range of normalizations they give, and incorporate that in to my final
reported uncertainties.

--If normalizations are difficult for a particular set of spectra, it
is often better to remove the requirement that weights sum to 1. To
the degree that normalizations are off, there will be some error in
the values that are found, but at least the fitting routine is able to
try to compensate for normalization differences by adjusting the
weights. In other words, forcing the sum to be 1 when the
normalizations are different forces a bad fit. Allowing them to total
to anything allows the algorithm to transfer errors in normalization
to errors in weighting.

Hope that helps!

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College