[Ifeffit] Has anyone got this technical problem during the fit?

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Aug 9 08:28:44 CDT 2011

Hi Nirawat,

I see the same behavior your describe -- fit 61 is empty and the big
green button is disabled.

It is hard for me to know exactly what happened -- I would need to be
able to reproduce the events leading up to the problem in order to
track it down.  That said, I can make a guess.

I am guessing that you were in the middle of a very long session with
Artemis, having run many, many fits during that session.  I am
guessing that you ran into Ifeffit's built-in memory limits.  This is
an unfortunate side-effect of the language Ifeffit is written in.

The best work-around for this problem is to save your work often and
to save your work to different filenames.  In this way, if you run
into a problem of this sort, you can at least "go back in time" in the
sense of using a recently saved project file.  That is, if you are
working on "myfit.apj", after a while, save it to "myfit_01.apj" and
so on.

The best thing I was able to do in the limited time I have to spend on
this was to remove all the fits after fit #61 from your project file.
That is attached.  (I also removed the first 50 fits, just to make it
a bit smaller.)  This loses the 25 or so fits you somehow did after
running into your problem, but it at least enables you to load and
continue using this fitting project.

Hope that helps.  Save early and often.