[Ifeffit] how to consider Jahn-Teller distortion?

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Mon Aug 8 21:32:05 CDT 2011

Moving the Fe atom off-center as if it were the Ti atom in a perovskite isn't a good way to simulate JT distortion.
In Fe3+ compounds such as goethite (I assume Fe3+, not the rare Fe4+), the distortion consists of the two axial
distances being shorter than the 4 equatorial.  You could simulate the 1st shell by moving two of the O atoms
artificially.  Alternatively, in Artemis, you could clone the Fe-O 1NN path and set a parameter for the JT distortion,
but that wouldn't get the MS or higher neighbors correct.  Does anyone know of a program which would be like ATOMS,
except with parameters, thus generating parameterized distances?

The beat you get from the JT distortion will make a big difference in the fit quality once you get to something
like 14A^-1.
	mam