[Ifeffit] asking questions effectively (yes, *you* need to read this email)

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 15:12:18 CDT 2011

One addition to Bruce's appeal: for some subscribers to the list,
large attachments are a problem. For instance, some people are still
working at dial-up speeds (due to the US' rural digital divide, I was
one of those recently), or even have limits on the amount of data they
can download in a month.

The question, then, is what is a "large" attachment? We've had some
discussion of that on the list previously, and never arrived at a hard-
and-fast rule.

Nonetheless, let me suggest that anything below 1 megabyte is fine--in
fact, it should be encouraged so that we can help with the kind of
questions Bruce just enumerated. Paul's files, for instance, were 214
KB, or 0.24 MB.

I suggest, therefore, that if you have a project file that is large
because, for instance, it has many, many fits in its history, please
re-save it in a smaller version, and attach that. You should also be
careful with screenshots that they are not needlessly large--e.g.
saved in a resolution far beyond what is necessary.

In the occasional case that the problem or question requires a large
file to manifest, such as that described by Nirawat yesterday, some
other arrangement needs to be worked out. It's possible, for instance,
to use a service such as Dropbox to make the file available without
actually attaching it to an email.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College