[Ifeffit] asking questions effectively (yes, *you* need to read this email)

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Aug 5 14:25:09 CDT 2011

Hi everyone,

This has been a particularly troubling week for me here on the Ifeffit
mailing list.  This week we have seen an unusually large number of
poorly asked questions.  Not bad questions, mind you, just questions
that have been asked in a manner that makes it hard to provide a
useful response.

On Tuesday, someone had a question about a fit in Artemis, but only
posted the project file which demonstrated the problem after being
prompted to do so.

On Wednesday, someone had an issue about LCF fitting in Athena that is
contrary to most people's experience with the program.  That person
did not bother to provide an example project file or any other
supporting information to clarify what happened.

On Thursday, another person had an Artemis problem which was described
in a short and cryptic email.  Only after being prompted 3 times to
post an example was someone able to be of help.

Also on Thursday, we saw the third example in one week of a problem
with Artemis, but no example project file to demonstrate the problem.

Today, we see someone with a crystallography problem, but we do not
see the actual data that would allow someone to reproduce the problem
on their own computer.

Happily, on Wednesday Paul Bingham posted a clear question and
attached Athena and Artemis project files.  He very quickly got two
useful answers.

You do see the lesson here, don't you?  If your problem cannot be
reproduced on someone else's computer, it is unlikely that you will
get a satisfying answer.

Don't wait to be prodded.  Supply the project file or crystal data
that demonstrates the problem *in your first email*.

The so-called experts on this list, including me, really do want to
help you with your problems.  But we are not mind readers.  You have
to meet us half way.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov