[Ifeffit] Fe K-edge second shell problems

Andrea L Foster afoster at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 3 15:03:28 CDT 2011

Paul, have you considered explicitly multiple scattering from within the
tetrahedron?  The short distance you describe for the second shell might
be consistent with that.

Its pretty easy to write an expression in the fit routine that makes the
MS path distances explicitly dependent on the SS paths (no new variables
in the fit)--the number of MS paths is constrained by the geometry
(tetrahedral).  The order of scattering is probably just 3- and 4- legged
MS paths, no higher (would give longer distances)

I study arsenic, and so I've seen this approach described in the following
paper on As:

Voegelin et al (2007) Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta v. 71, pp.
5804-5820.  Look in the section 2.6 for the details.

sorry if someone already answered this,

Andrea L. Foster, Ph.D.
U.S.G.S. WMESC
345 Middlfield Rd., MS 901