[Ifeffit] Problem with running FEFF in Artemis

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Apr 15 08:33:48 CDT 2011

On Friday, April 15, 2011 09:14:00 am Jatinkumar Rana wrote:
> Dear Ifeffit users,
>
>   I am facing a strange problem in running ATOMS for the "F d-3 m" space
> group. It gives me following message :
>
>   "F d -3 m" appears in the International Tables with
>    multiple choices of origin.  If the atoms list seems wrong, you
>    should use a shift vector of:
>      -0.125, -0.125, -0.125

Crystals in that space group are sometimes referenced to one choice of
origin (i.e. one particular center of symmetry) and sometimes
referenced to another.  Atoms has no way of knowing what choice the
authors of any particular crystal structure might have made, so it is
kind enough to alert you to this common issue.

In the event that the structure in the feff.inp file looks wrong with
a shift verctor of (0,0,0), atoms is kind enough to suggest a likely
solution.  It did not issue a command -- you are not required to apply
a non-zero shift vector.  It's a suggestion in the case of trouble. :)

To my eye, the feff.inp file with shift = (0,0,0) looks plausible.
The feff.inp file with shift = (-1/8,-1/8,-1/8) is clearly wrong, as
you point out.

So, is the shift=(0,0,0) feff.inp file not right?

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov