[Ifeffit] Question about FEFF6

goodhei8 at gmail.com goodhei8 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 02:24:22 CDT 2011

Dear Prof. Ravel,

Thanks so much for your answer, which remove the cloud partially above me.

I actually tried many models, from crystal to the opposite 6O only
(different distance, second shell C,P ...).  The example shown in the
email are two extreme cases, which single P has contribution like 6 P.
I also tried 6O+6(PO3), which is close to a crystal structure(6 O are
not same distance from center, same for 6(PO3)) ---- when I decease # of
PO3 from 6 to 0, FEFF calculations of O change gradually --- not like '
single P has contribution like 6 P'. It make me wonder,

1, FEFF takes Z atoms at equal distance as same. It does not care some
have neighbor A, some have neighbor B. Should I worry about it? and when?
2, Does FEFF consider about valence state (like Ur 3 or Ur5 in center)?

Model closer to sample, better result. Of course crystal structure is
closer to real sample than models like 6O do. In practice, If I only
consider single scattering and fit to n shell, can I say that it is good
enough to have a model of n+1 shell? For instance I want to fit sample
with O and P shells, it is good enough to have a model with Cd -O-P-O3,
since O3 shell will influence P(like P atoms influence 1st shell O).

Best,
Jack Song