[Ifeffit] Fwd: Re: Fwd: ifeffit installation in Linux (Fedora 14)

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Apr 7 09:56:46 CDT 2011

Subject: Re: Fwd: ifeffit installation in Linux (Fedora 14)
Date: Thursday, April 07, 2011, 10:52:57 am
From: Bruce Ravel <bravel at bnl.gov>
To: gqpan at ustc.edu.cn

On Thursday, April 07, 2011 10:23:20 am you wrote:
> Thank you very much for your rapid reply.
> Yes, I tried first with pgplot using
> ./configure --with-pgplot=/usr/local/pgplot/, but failed with the 'make'
> ../lib/libifeffit.a(iff_cursor.o): In function `iff_zoom_':
> /usr/local/ifeffit-1.2.11c/src/lib/iff_cursor.f:134: undefined reference
> to `pgband_'
> /usr/local/ifeffit-1.2.11c/src/lib/iff_cursor.f:138: undefined reference
> to `pgband_'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[3]: *** [ifftest1] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/ifeffit-1.2.11c/src/test'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/ifeffit-1.2.11c/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/ifeffit-1.2.11c'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
>     (more details in my previous make.log file)
> Then I tried with ./configure --without-pgplot, which can
> be done without any problem. That's the problem.
> Regards,
> Guoqiang

Hmmm...... so it seems not to be linking with libpgplot.a.  Odd.

I notice on my computer that the pgplot library is called
libpgplot_iff.a and that the Makefile in src/lib/ has this line:

PGPLOT_LIBS = -L/usr/local/share/ifeffit/pgplot -lpgplot_iff -lpng -lz -lX11

I also see that Matt's PGPLOT_install script changes one of pgplot's
files to use the installation location specified in PGPLOT_install as
default location (i.e. the one that would be specified by setting the
PGPLOT_DIR environment variable).  The script then renames the library
to have the "_iff".

There are a number of ways to address.  Here is one relatively simple
suggestion:

  1. cd to the location of libpgplot.a on your computer

  2. make a symbolic link to libpgplot.a like so:
        ln -s libpgplot.a libpgplot_iff.a

  3. set the PGPLOT_DIR environment variable to the directory
     containing libpgplot.a.  This can be done either typing
        export PGPLOT_DIR=/location/of/pgplot
     at the commend line or putting it in a login script to make it
     permanent.  (Of course, replace /location/of/pgplot with the
     correct thing on your computer.)

  4. cd back to the location of the ifeffit source and try again to
     build it.

All that is, of course, untested on my end.  But I think it should
work.  If not, we'll keep trying until we figure it out!

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov