[Ifeffit] XasPerlBundle problems

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Sun Sep 19 19:58:04 CDT 2010

Hi Josh,

> Hi Matt,
> Thanks for the quick response. I did run the command from within the horae
> install directory, and the file XasPerlBundle.pm is in the Bundle directory,
> i.e.,
>
> verrocchio.phys #] pwd
> /tmp/horae-070
> verrocchio.phys #] ls
> .   Bundle  INSTALL           aug    build_private  libperlxray
> ..  CPAN    INSTALL_not_root  build  horae
> verrocchio.phys #] ls Bundle/
> .  ..  XasPerlBundle.pm
> verrocchio.phys #] perl -MCPAN -e'install Bundle::XasPerlBundle'
> CPAN: Storable loaded ok
> Going to read /CPAN/Metadata
>   Database was generated on Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:28:36 GMT
> CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok
> Fetching with LWP:
>   http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
> Going to read /CPAN/source/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
> Fetching with LWP:
>   http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
> Going to read /CPAN/source/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
>   Database was generated on Sat, 18 Sep 2010 17:59:57 GMT
>
>   There's a new CPAN.pm version (v1.9402) available!
>   [Current version is v1.7602]
>   You might want to try
>     install Bundle::CPAN
>     reload cpan
>   without quitting the current session. It should be a seamless upgrade
>   while we are running...
>
> Fetching with LWP:
>   http://www.perl.com/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
> Going to read /CPAN/source/modules/03modlist.data.gz
> Going to write /CPAN/Metadata
> Warning: Cannot install Bundle::XasPerlBundle, don't know what it is.
> Try the command
>
>     i /Bundle::XasPerlBundle/
>
> to find objects with matching identifiers.

I had similar troubles on Mac OS X, I think possibly due to a bad
CPAN/Config.pm file (that is, /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.X/CPAN/Config.pm).
Among other things, I was also seeing CPAN trying to use /CPAN/ as its
root directory -- that can't be very good.

I think this could be related to the MyConfig.pm in Bruce's
distribution, which has
   'cpan_home' => File::Spec->catfile($ENV{__INSTALLING_BRPERL}, "CPAN"),

but I haven't tested this carefully.

Anyway, I would suggest blowing away the CPAN/CONFIG.pm file and
starting over.  I think that will use a '.cpan' folder in your home
directory for CPAN stuff, and that might fix it.

If that doesn't help, hopefully Bruce will have more insight.