[Ifeffit] Bkg removal problem

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Sep 14 13:07:55 CDT 2010

Alfred,

I certainly encourage you to look at Shelly's book chapter. It's very
useful.

The question you ask is one that we hear frequently on this mailing
list.  I don't mean anything bad by saying that -- in fact, it's an
excellent question that every practitioner of XAS needs to come to
terms with early on in his or her XAS career.  Indeed, I am pleased
that you are insightful enough to recognize your confusion and wise
enough to ask for help.

That said, I am a bit weary of answering questions about Rbkg on the
mailing list.  Yours ain't the first! ;-)

Rather than answering here, I decided to write up a wiki page on the
topic.  That way, I'll have something to point to the next time
someone asks about Rbkg.

Here it is:
  http://xafs.org/TheoryAnalysis/BackgroundRemovalWithAutobk

Hope it helps,