[Ifeffit] iXAFS3.0.2

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 7 15:15:25 CDT 2010

Hi All,

OK, I put a next attempt for a Mac distribution at
    http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ifeffit/src/iXAFS3.0.2.dmg

which should have some improvements.  I believe this should work on
10.6 without issue -- I tested it on one other system at work, and
everything launched without trouble.    The Python module should now
install well.

With earlier attempts, I still had problems with a 10.5 machine, and
suspected something wrong with i386 v x86_64.   So I rebuilt
everything (including perl) to be for i386 and ppc architectures, but
not x86_64.     In fact, I noticed some Aquaterm-related issues that
also seemed x86_64 v i386, and went back to using (and including in
the distribution) the standard issue Aquaterm1.0.1 that has i386 and
ppc binaries, but not x86_64.   Thus, iXAFS3.0.2 has no x86_64
binaries. For one thing, this makes the image "only" 60Mb.

I could not find suitable 10.5 or PowerPC machines at work, but will
test later today.

For PPC, the iXAFS launcher application is now universal, and runs on
PPC (G4) machine.  With an earlier incarnation (when x86_64 was still
included)  I could run the Ifeffit shell and Athena.  Unfortunately,
both Artemis and Hephaestus failed to load with
   dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: ___gcc_gmul
   Referenced from: ....local/bin/perl
   Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Hephaestus showed a splash screen, Artemis did not.  I grepped out all
the 'use' statements from Hephaestus, and these can all be loaded.  In
addition, all '*.bundle" files (Perl's binaries) claim to be universal
binaries (including ppc).     I don't really know what to make of
this, but will try again with the latest build.

Any feedback on what works and what doesn't would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

--Matt