[Ifeffit] Asymmetric error bars in IFeffit

Matthew Marcus mamarcus at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 22 17:01:17 CDT 2010

Another reason, from my point of view, is that FEFF wasn't accurate enough to use on its own without references.  Also, it still can be argued that
the process of data reduction and filtering produces distortions which aren't captured by using FEFF alone.  Further, if one is comparing
very similar systems, e.g. bulk and nano of the same stuff, then with the exception of multiple scattering, the one system should be an ideal
reference for the other.

A trick I used to do:  Suppose, for instance, that I wanted to fit a shell of Zn surrounded by Si (not an actual case).  There's no Si-rich
zinc silicide to use as a reference, but it's not too hard to make theta-CuAl2, a compound in which all Cu atoms are surrounded by Al in the
first shell (this was done).  From this, amp and phase functions could be extracted which refer to Cu looking at Al (Cu->Al). Next, to transform this into
the desired Zn->Si, I would do FEFF calculations on identical structures with the atoms changed around and take:

A(Zn->Si, semi-empirical) = A(Cu->Al, expt)*[A(Zn->Si, FEFF)/A(Cu->Al, FEFF)]
phi(Zn->Si, semi-empirical) = phi(Cu->Al, expt)+[Phi(Zn->Si, FEFF)-phi(Cu->Al, FEFF)]

with A, phi being amplitude and phase for a given shell, and appropriate account being taken of the distance differences involved.

This makes sense if you consider A~ = A*exp(i*phi) to be one of the factors in a complex chi~ such that chi = Im(chi~), and you're
essentially making a correction to ln(A~).  Yes, this was low-rent and subject to errors, but it seemed to make sense provided
one didn't try to take it too far, for instance trying to change Al for Au or an oxide for a metal.

Brings back memories, not all of them fond :-)
    mam