[Ifeffit] calibration/aligment...2

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 13:37:43 CDT 2010

Thanks, Ornella, that clarifies what you're doing.

My recommendation is to look closely at the 6 reference spectra and
see if there appears to be a systematic energy shift between them. For
example, each spectrum might be shifted by about 0.3 eV from the
spectrum before it. Or the first two spectra might appear aligned, but
then the third through sixth are shifted by 1.5 eV. In either of those
cases, you should align them. In my second example, I might throw out
the second spectrum as an additional precaution (if the shift occurred
"all at once," it might have occurred during the scan before which it
appears). In either case, it doesn't really matter which scan you
choose to align to (and calibrate, if you have a way of doing that).

If, on the other hand, the 6 reference spectra appear to basically
overplot except for random noise, I would not try to align them further.

I would treat the 6 spectra for the electrolysed solution similarly--
align them to each other if there is a systematic energy shift.

What you should not do, in my opinion, is to align the electrolysed
scans to the reference scans. You actually expect there to be a
chemical shift between the two sets of data, and aligning one to the
other would remove that!

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College