[Ifeffit] calibration/alignment

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Oct 14 09:39:28 CDT 2010

Dear Ornel,

Alignment here means to make sure that the energy scale has not
drifted between different scans.  At many (especially older)
facilities, it is not too unusual to have the apparent energy scale
drift around a bit over time.

Sometimes a reference sample is measured simultaneously specifically
for detecting such drifts.  Generally one asserts that the recorded
energies were offset from one scan to another by a constant amount
that happened between one scan and other (ie, not during a scan).
This assumption might be justified from a mechanical point-of-view,
but is rarely tested in practice.

It is easy for the data processing to simply add a constant to all
energies of one scan until it looks like the energies align with
another scan.  For small shifts (a few eV or so), this is probably
fine.  Consequently, this easy procedure is commonly done even though
the underlying assumptions are rarely tested and the procedure is
loses accuracy for large shifts.

If you don't think you need to do this, then you're probably right.
The corollary is that if you do think you need to do this all the
time, and that the energy shift is larger than a few eV, then there is
probably something wrong, and you should look carefully at whether
"shift by a constant energy" is even reasonable.

If you're just getting started, I would say to not worry about energy
alignment until it becomes an obvious problem.

--Matt