[Ifeffit] calibration/alignment

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 09:04:17 CDT 2010

Hi Ornel,

Alignment is used to compensate for monochromators that do not
maintain stable energy calibration between scans. In conventional
measurements, you'll generally have several scans that are supposed to
be of the same sample under identical conditions, and those scans may
need to be aligned with each other. That is not the case for a time
series, which is what I think you are saying you have.

So in a time series, how do you compensate for any energy drift of the
monochromator? If you are recording a simultaneous reference spectrum,
you can align the reference spectra to each other. (Athena
automatically will shift the sample spectra by the same amount that
the reference spectra are shifted.)

If you have a time series but don't have a simultaneous reference
spectra, it becomes tougher. If you collected a reference spectrum
before and after the time series, you could try to interpolate any
shift that's seen, although that's dicey; shifts sometimes occur in
jumps. But if there's no shift, you're probably OK!

If you have a time series and no reference at all, or a reference only
before the series, you're out of luck. You're relying then on the
assumption of energy stability, which on some beamlines might be
OK...but it is best to confirm that by at least measuring a reference
before and after.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College