[Ifeffit] schemes for delr and sigma2 for multiple scattering paths

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Oct 8 09:56:46 CDT 2010

On Friday 08 October 2010 09:30:14 am Jatinkumar Rana wrote:
> Also, whether the intereference between photo electrons is constructive
> or destructive, the incident photon will lose its energy once it knocks
> an electron from say K-shell of absorbing atom and hence photon is said
> to have absorbed.

I think I answered your second question in my last post.

With respect to this question -- the incident photon doesn't "lose
energy".  The incident photon is destroyed when the photoelectron is
created.  The kinetic energy of the photoelectron is the energy of the
photon in excess of the binding energy.

PS: What I said there wasn't quite correct.  There are loss terms in
XAS, so there are other places for the energy to go beside the kinetic
energy of the photoelectron.  But as a launching point, the
explanation above will do.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov