[Ifeffit] sigma^2 values for multiple scattering paths (Scott Calvin/Shelly Kelly/Abhijeet Gaur); Re: Ifeffit Digest, Vol 92, Issue 5

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 13:38:01 CDT 2010

Not at all unusual, Han Sen. If you think about the EXAFS equation,
you'll see that sigma^2 and amplitude primarily affect the amplitude
of the signal, while distances affect the position of the peak in the
Fourier transform (or equivalently, the spacing of peaks in chi(k)).
So sigma^2 and amplitude can trade off without affecting distance-
based aspects of the fit much.

That's why I suggested you try forcing the sigma^2 to a "reasonable"
value to see what happened to your fit. Sometimes none of the aspects
of the fit you're interested in depend strongly on the sigma^2 of low-
amplitude paths--particularly if what you're interest in is distances
or information that is in part derived from distances, like phase
identification. In those cases, the anomalous sigma^2 can be a "yellow
flag" (think about what might be causing it and decide if it's a
problem to your scientific case) rather than a "red flag" (drop
everything and resolve the problem before proceeding).

Also, note from the EXAFS equation that sigma^2 is weighted by k^2,
and amplitude is not. If fits using different k-weights result in
significantly different values of sigma^2, that can be a clue that the
issue is actually one of amplitude, as in your case.

At any rate, I'm glad you solved your issue in such a satisfying way!

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College