[Ifeffit] Distortion of transmission spectra due to particlesize

Sven L.M. Schroeder sven.schroeder at gnomikos.com
Wed Nov 24 15:07:27 CST 2010

Hi

the non-linearity occurs because of the log in the calculation of the
absorption coefficient. It becomes clear when you write down the Lambert
Beer law assuming the transmitted intensity is the sum of contributions from
the sample (ie, dependent on absorption coefficient) and some fraction of
unaffected transmitted beam (independent of absorption coefficient).

I plotted the resulting edge jump effect assuming 1% transparency of a
sample ('pinholes') some time ago by calculating the measured absorption
coefficient as a function of actual absorption coefficient and as a function
of sample thickness x. The plot is on page 13 in 'Spectroscopy for Surface
Science' (Wiley 1998):

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=vo5cGstx_Q0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=spect
roscopy+for+surface+science&source=bl&ots=kOuTVLyvXY&sig=F7c-2vfvAcdZ4b0o0Qz
_BTJdFlo&hl=en&ei=P3vtTMfKEIyEhQflzfzMDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnu
m=1&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

You can see that for thin foils there is good linearity - thick samples run
into a saturation effect. Hence EXAFS dampened ...

Sven