[Ifeffit] Transmission EXAFS sample

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 11:39:13 CST 2010

On Nov 21, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Jatinkumar Rana wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> Yes I have assumed the sample cross section area to be 1 sq. cm. and
> then calculated the amount of sample required for that.
>
> What i planned  is following :
>
> I would calculate the amount of sample required for 1sq.cm area, take
> that amount of sample and make it very fine paste using mortar and
> pestle, and then apply it uniformly on a piece of kapton tape. Then
> fold
> the tape over and over again in such a way that final bunch of tapes
> will yield to 1 sq.cm. area containing the required amount of sample.
>
> Will it be the right approach ?? OR I can take randomly few milligrams
> of powder  (i.e. not strictly as per calculation) and  make a several
> uniform layers of tape ??
>
> With best regards,
> Jatin
>
> --

Hi Jatin,

I'm not sure I understand. If you have enough sample for the 1 square
centimeter target, then there shouldn't be a problem, right? I was
assuming from your initial question that you weren't going to have
enough sample to do that.

--Scott Calvin
Faculty at Sarah Lawrence College
Currently on sabbatical at Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory