[Ifeffit] Transmission EXAFS sample

Scott Calvin dr.scott.calvin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 12:30:37 CST 2010

Hi Jatin,

Matt covered most of what I would say, but I'll add a few comments of
my own.

I'm not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that you have only a
few percent of what you need--you must be assuming a sample area
somehow. I have frequently made transmission measurements on samples
where I only had a few milligrams available. Generally, I did it by
spreading it on a layer of tape as well as I could and then folding
the tape over and over again--sometimes to make as many as 16 layers.
(Of course, that many layers is not advisable if you're below 6 keV or
so, as the absorption of the tape itself would kill the signal). Even
if there are lots of pinholes because you can't cover the tape
effectively, 16 layers from folding will make them cancel out fairly
well. I can then narrow the beam a bit to match the size of my sample.
Flux isn't really the issue here, so I don't even need a focussed
beamline--I can just narrow the slits.

Two other tips:

1) Realize that even with a tiny amount of sample that much of it
won't end up on the tape. The process of brushing on tape is designed
to separate the small grains from the big ones, with only the small
ones ending up on tape. Allow that to happen!

2) You can sometimes get a second piece of tape to have some sample on
it by putting it sticky side down on your mortar and peeling it back.
A thin layer of dust from the sample will stick to the tape, and give
you a little more absorption and a bit more of a uniform distribution.
If you stack that with the primary piece of tape and then fold a few
times, you may end up in pretty good shape, as long as you're not
operating at a low enough energy so that all the layers of tape are a
problem..

This procedure doesn't give me the best data I've ever seen, but it's
often not bad.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College